Propane Pricing (old topic, partially restored)

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Editor
      Participant

Propane Pricing
      Thread starterApollo C. Vermouth
      Start dateDec 12, 2019
      A
      Apollo C. Vermouth
      Dec 12, 2019

Propane is (of course) a commodity, and pricing fluctuates based on supply and demand. If you’ve ever wondered what a fair price is for propane, I’d suggest starting here: https://www.eia.gov/petroleum/heatingoilpropane/ The US Energy Information Administration posts a weekly report of wholesale and retail pricing for propane, by region. I’ve found that the US Average, plus 0.20 – 0.30/gal, is a fair indicator of what you should pay for home delivery of a few hundred gallons. The most I’ve paid per gallon in the past three years is $2.69, and that’s at the peak in Jan/Feb from one of the “big two”: Ferrellgas or AmeriGas. Smaller or independent providers are usually willing to be a bit more aggressive on price, and you can often negotiate down below $2 as a first-time customer with any provider. And don’t pay any additional service fees or delivery charges – it’s all-in at that price/gallon. I can highly recommend Pacific Coast Propane. A few years ago we had a propane leak inside the house; they came out after-hours, diagnosed the issue, and saved us (literally)!

Reactions:ptrubey
      F
      Frank Creede
      Jan 6, 2020

Just paid $2.89/Gallon from Pacific Coast Propane. My price was $3.04/gallon, but I caught the driver and requested a discount. They called the office and reduced it $0.15 to $2.89. You have to ask to receive a discount.

Reactions:Apollo C. Vermouth
      V
      Vocal Resident
      Feb 3, 2020

KC Propane is the best price in town; always has been. I used Pacific Coast Propane before I went to KC. KC does have one quirk; they charge an $8 hazmat fee with each delivery. No one else does (and I called several to check.) My end of January delivery is the highest rate during the year and was $2.599 a gallon with a $7.97 HAZMAT fee.

with regard to Ferrell and Amerigas: O M G run away and run away fast. I had Amerigas years ago and they are not only expensive but do not always charge you the rate they quoted you. Call and check rates and you will see what others already have. It is fair to note the the RSF Association buys from KC. You can even see the name on the tank by the Golf Club restaurant on the west side driveway exit.

Reactions:ptrubey
      S
      steve gatlin
      Later today at 11:56 AM

I just called Ferrell- I am paying 2.75…
      V
      Vocal Resident
      Later today at 9:23 AM

This article is pretty interesting. It points up how ethical propane companies are in pricing and deceptively taking advantage. Recently the cost of an exchange at Home Depot went from $18 to $21. ( I paid KC Propane $2.29/gal Dec 29th. ) This is telling since a point in the article referenced the companies not wanting to increase the price of the exchange so they reduced the contents of a 20 pound tank. Here the price increase is @ 17% with the lowered quantity of contents.

Note: A gallon of propane weighs 4.24 pounds. The average for a grill tends to be a little over 4 gallons, which would equal out to around 20 pounds of propane. Reducing the weight to 15 pounds is a change of 25%. So what used to be 20 pounds for $18 (last fall) at $1.11 per pound, now you pay $1.40 per pound. That’s a 26% price increase without telling anyone that the same size metal tank now carries 1/4 less and now the price has increased. How about getting 9 eggs in a carton for 12 and paying for 16?

What’s next? Cereal boxes?!?

How Much Propane Is Really in Your 20-Pound Grill Tank? – Poynter
      From person-to-person coaching and intensive hands-on seminars to interactive online courses and media reporting, Poynter helps journalists sharpen skills and elevate storytelling throughout their careers.
      http://www.poynter.org

ptrubey
      Administrator
      Staff member
      Later today at 1:04 PM

Vocal Resident said:
      This article is pretty interesting. It points up how ethical propane companies are in pricing and deceptively taking advantage. Recently the cost of an exchange at Home Depot went from $18 to $21. ( I paid KC Propane $2.29/gal Dec 29th. ) This is telling since a point in the article referenced the companies not wanting to increase the price of the exchange so they reduced the contents of a 20 pound tank. Here the price increase is @ 17% with the lowered quantity of contents.

Note: A gallon of propane weighs 4.24 pounds. The average for a grill tends to be a little over 4 gallons, which would equal out to around 20 pounds of propane. Reducing the weight to 15 pounds is a change of 25%. So what used to be 20 pounds for $18 (last fall) at $1.11 per pound, now you pay $1.40 per pound. That’s a 26% price increase without telling anyone that the same size metal tank now carries 1/4 less and now the price has increased. How about getting 9 eggs in a carton for 12 and paying for 16?
      Click to expand…
      I recently bought a new propane tank, and sure enough it felt really light compared to when I last bought one. Pretty sad!
      R
      rsfpostreader
      Later today at 8:08 AM

We use pacific and if I leave our empty small tanks beside our big tank they fill them up. Tanks are cheap so we have extras for the patio heaters. It’s super convenient and cheaper as we’re just paying the bulk rate.

we had ferrell before and our rate just kept going up with no notice, and we could never get them to come quickly if our tank got low. Pacific put an automatic meter in our tank and it reports to an app, so there are never any surprises.
      G
      Gracia
      Later today at 12:11 PM

As a matter of information i use Ferellgas. For the period of 1/05/21 to 2/17/21 I paid an average of $2.42 per day. For period from 2/17/21 to 3/21/21 I paid $2.56 per day. I am told that the price is their cost price plus an add on that their cost varies with the date of delivery. I have not varied this statement.

Reactions:RSFPoster
      R
      RSFPoster
      Later today at 8:36 PM

Vocal Resident said:
      What’s next? Cereal boxes?!?

How Much Propane Is Really in Your 20-Pound Grill Tank? – Poynter
      From person-to-person coaching and intensive hands-on seminars to interactive online courses and media reporting, Poynter helps journalists sharpen skills and elevate storytelling throughout their careers.
      http://www.poynter.org
      Click to expand…
      Yes cereal boxes have played that game!

Raw Deal: The incredible shrinking cereal box – Sep. 10, 2008

Does swapping a tank in the same enclosure require RSF approval?
      J
      John6017
      Later today at 6:25 AM

Has anyone tried to buy a rented tank from Ferrellgas? We have an old 288 gal. tank rented from Ferrellgas @$99 per year – floored when I called 4/8/21 for refill pricing + was told $3.5162 per gal. (+$12.99 hazmat fee). At another property I own my tank + paid Pacific Propane $2.69 per gallon for a recent refill. Rental agreement with Ferrellgas says on p.2 “You will not permit any propane to be delivered into the (tank) by anyone other than us” so I can’t shop around for a refill. A friend told me to ask Ferrellgas about selling me the old rented 288 gal. tank so I can shop around (my tank is in a difficult to access location and to remove it would require a crane or cutting lots of landscape screening to dolly it out, so it isn’t as simple as terminating Ferrellgas and telling them to come remove their tank).

ptrubey
      Administrator
      Staff member
      Later today at 10:33 AM

RSFPoster said:
      Does swapping a tank in the same enclosure require RSF approval?
      I doubt it.

ptrubey
      Administrator
      Staff member
      Later today at 10:34 AM

John6017 said:
      Has anyone tried to buy a rented tank from Ferrellgas? We have an old 288 gal. tank rented from Ferrellgas @$99 per year – floored when I called 4/8/21 for refill pricing + was told $3.5162 per gal. (+$12.99 hazmat fee). At another property I own my tank + paid Pacific Propane $2.69 per gallon for a recent refill. Rental agreement with Ferrellgas says on p.2 “You will not permit any propane to be delivered into the (tank) by anyone other than us” so I can’t shop around for a refill. A friend told me to ask Ferrellgas about selling me the old rented 288 gal. tank so I can shop around (my tank is in a difficult to access location and to remove it would require a crane or cutting lots of landscape screening to dolly it out, so it isn’t as simple as terminating Ferrellgas and telling them to come remove their tank).
      Propane companies have cranes to lift and replace tanks. I believe that if you terminate the contract, Ferrell is obligated to remove the old tank. I had an Amerigas tank moved and they came out and did for free If I recall correctly.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.