Recent fine anecdotes (from archives)

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Editor
      Participant

Recent fine anecdotes
      RSFPoster

It’s been over a year since Phil shed light on some egregious fines – the association just sent out a reminder about it in the context of building permits

Looking at the financials looks like about $400k worth of fine receivables in 2019 and 2020 – but actual booked revenue much lower (people ulitmately settle / don’t pay?)

Anyone have experience being fined for issues that don’t involve major construction / bypassing the art jury for projects and permits – i.e. the arbitrary general “high class condition” provision?

I understand clear fines to promote the major construction permit process – but that $10,000 first instance fine for vague “high class condition” upkeep is frightening to see as a threat that adds an air of ‘who is going to report me’ to interactions with fellow residents

Reactions:Covenant Resident

ptrubey

RSFPoster said:
      It’s been over a year since Phil shed light on some egregious fines – the association just sent out a reminder about it in the context of building permits.

Looking at the financials looks like about $400k worth of fine receivables in 2019 and 2020 – but actual booked revenue much lower (people ulitmately settle / don’t pay?).
      My guess is that it is settlements. The Association generally sees fines as a mechanism to force compliance. If you end up complying without giving them too much grief, they generally are lenient on fines. However, if you ignore them, do not negotiate, and do not pay, the Association will absolutely put liens on your property and go to pretty far lengths to extract payment.

Anyone have experience being fined for issues that don’t involve major construction / bypassing the art jury for projects and permits – i.e. the arbitrary general “high class condition” provision?
      Not personally, but yes, I do know of such situations. Of the situations I’ve heard of, the Association appeared to be justified either because the property was left in pretty bad shape (like a posse of broken down cars), or the member repeatedly ignored Association notices. Having said that, the Association could improve their communication methods, but that takes extra $$ in terms of enforcement manpower.

I understand clear fines to promote the major construction permit process – but that $10,000 first instance fine for vague “high class condition” upkeep is frightening to see as a threat that adds an air of ‘who is going to report me’ to interactions with fellow residents
      Yes indeed. I think the RSF fines start way too high. We aren’t all millionaires. I have mentioned this to board members before and the answer back is that RSF residents can afford it. Uh, no, that’s just wrong. There are many ranch residents who are living on the edge. The current fine schedule can almost be seen as a way of chasing lower income people away from RSF.

RSFPoster
      Thanks for the color Phil

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.