Adele Hendrick’s Op-Ed on speed limits (old discussion, partially restored)

Welcome to the RSF Post, a news, communication & information site serving the Rancho Santa Fe Community Forums RSF Post Member Forum Adele Hendrick’s Op-Ed on speed limits (old discussion, partially restored)

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Editor
      Participant

Adele Hendrick’s Op-Ed on speed limits
      Thread starterTodd Huckins
      Start dateLater today at 2:04 PM
      T
      Todd Huckins
      Later today at 2:04 PM

I agree with Adele Hendrick’s Op-Ed on the need to lower speed limits here in RSF! I think we, as a community, should look at the speed limits on select roads, and make a request to the county to lower some speed limits. I think it’s easy to say that all of the 45 MPH zones should be lowered to 40 MPH, at the very least. As we are in an un-incorporated part of the county we have SD Sheriff for law enforcement, and CHP for traffic. As opposed to Solana Beach where SD Sheriff serves both functions, and even though we pay the CHP overtime to be here more often, it is rare to see them (they drive the same cars, and SUV’s as the Sheriff with different door badges). One thing that does seem to make a difference enforcing the limits we have is when Chief Wellhouser rolls out the “radar wagon” that displays a drivers speed, and the speed limit. Maybe we should also consider permanent radar signs in select locations? They can be very low profile, solar powered, and unobtrusive. Todd Huckins

Reactions:Santa Fean, vibaby and ptrubey
      V
      vibaby
      Later today at 8:03 AM

I would go farther and say the 40mph limits should be lowered to 35mph.

Reactions:Santa Fean and Covenant Resident

ptrubey
      Administrator
      Staff member
      Later today at 10:48 AM

vibaby said:
      I would go farther and say the 40mph limits should be lowered to 35mph.
      Given the limited line of sight around corners and the not infrequent horse crossings (also around blind corners) on Ramblas de las Flores, dropping its speed limit from 40 to 35 wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Reactions:vibaby
      V
      Vocal Resident
      Later today at 5:12 AM

On Via de Fortuna the speed limit is 45. This means people usually drive 55 and faster. More than one family has moved away from this street.

Part of the old magic of Rancho Santa Fe was isolation from through traffic. Before the pandemic afternoon backups from Encinitas reached the golf course. 15 years ago (approximately) Rancho Santa Fe Road in Encinitas was throttled with stop signs to curtail both the volume of traffic and the speed of the cars. Similarly making the intersection of So Rancho Santa Fe / La Bajada/ El Mirlo into a full three way stop sign would go a long way to dissuade people from using the Ranch as a cut through. If the cut-through were made less attractive the cars would simply go a different and more appropriate way such as Manshester to the freeway. There is no benefit to accommodating this traffic. There are real dangers to the speeding, drunk driving and opportunistic element who would see this a ripe place for crime. The two bridges into Encinitas have altered the landscape and the rural isolation that made the Ranch so peaceful, idyllic and safe.
      Traffic engineers seek to maximize the traffic flow and capacity. People living in the area want exactly the opposite. This conflict puts the goals of the county 180 degrees into opposition to the residents desires. This is not NIMBY but the destruction of the quality of life for good. Once the infrastructure is built it is all but impossible to undo the change. Personally I love life in the Ranch during this pandemic.You could walk on the roads without worry from the occasional (and slow) car. The entire feel was wonderful but now it is evaporating like the morning dew.

Reactions:Santa Fean and vibaby
      V
      Vocal Resident
      Later today at 5:17 AM

Todd Huckins said:
      I agree with Adele Hendrick’s Op-Ed on the need to lower speed limits here in RSF! I think we, as a community, should look at the speed limits on select roads, and make a request to the county to lower some speed limits. I think it’s easy to say that all of the 45 MPH zones should be lowered to 40 MPH, at the very least. As we are in an un-incorporated part of the county we have SD Sheriff for law enforcement, and CHP for traffic. As opposed to Solana Beach where SD Sheriff serves both functions, and even though we pay the CHP overtime to be here more often, it is rare to see them (they drive the same cars, and SUV’s as the Sheriff with different door badges). One thing that does seem to make a difference enforcing the limits we have is when Chief Wellhouser rolls out the “radar wagon” that displays a drivers speed, and the speed limit. Maybe we should also consider permanent radar signs in select locations? They can be very low profile, solar powered, and unobtrusive. Todd Huckins
      Everyone knows the police are gone by 5 pm and then no one stops at the stop signs and speeding is unrestricted. In front of the Inn 90% of people ignore the rules of the road and if they can squeeze in front of you they (rudely) do. Oddly enough it seems that soccer moms in SUVs are one of the worst offenders and they don’t care what time of day it is. Yes, at 5 pm the race flag drops and it is the wild west on the streets.

Reactions:Santa Fean and vibaby

ptrubey
      Administrator
      Staff member
      Later today at 3:08 PM

Vocal Resident said:
      Everyone knows the police are gone by 5 pm and then no one stops at the stop signs and speeding is unrestricted. In front of the Inn 90% of people ignore the rules of the road and if they can squeeze in front of you they (rudely) do. Oddly enough it seems that soccer moms in SUVs are one of the worst offenders and they don’t care what time of day it is. Yes, at 5 pm the race flag drops and it is the wild west on the streets.
      That 5 way intersection is most of the problem. They put up a new 4 way stop sign on Linea Del Cielo and most of the time, people take their turn. The 5 way in front of the Inn is hopeless.

There was a proposal five years ago to change that area to make it a 4 way, merge the two parks in front of the Inn and give more parking. Now, there is even another reason to do something like this – the eyesore of that one way street that was created. I wish the Board would take some time doing something useful like this.

Reactions:Santa Fean, Covenant Resident and Jee
      V
      Vocal Resident
      Later today at 4:54 PM

The parking should be a underground or half underground with a flat usable pavilion above. While the park area in front of Thyme in the Ranch is used the other piece is not. This is where the zillions of realtors and bankers should be forced to park instead of on the streets. Even better would be to route traffic around the central corridor making a pedestrian mall for one block. Restaurants could have outdoor seating and events could take place. The seating for poor little Caffe Positano is laughable but used heavily. Imagine if there were a dozen tables out side instead. People would use them and business would start to return to the village. The restaurateurs fight to keep the parking spaces in front of their restaurants but this is to cut your nose off to spite your face. If people had to walk from around the corner to a great eatery or coffee house they would gladly do it. There is nothing more pathetic than seeing visitors from the Inn walk into the village and realize there is nowhere to go and nothing to see. A RSF Village plaza would be fabulous and family friendly. Just build a partially underground parking garage in that little piece of grassy knoll.

Last edited: Later today at 5:01 PM

Reactions:Santa Fean and ptrubey
      R
      Rsfdweller
      Later today at 7:57 PM

What ever happened to the Roundabout project???

Reactions:Santa Fean and Covenant Resident
      V
      Vocal Resident
      Later today at 8:36 PM

I believe the approval came without funding.

ptrubey
      Administrator
      Staff member
      Later today at 8:46 PM

Rsfdweller said:
      What ever happened to the Roundabout project???
      Since they are County roads, the County has to come up with funding, and they have not prioritized it. It’s been languishing for years waiting for funding. Personally, I’d be fine with a one time per member levy of $1,000 that we could then cost share with the County. If we waived $2M under the County’s nose, maybe they could build the roundabouts.

Reactions:Santa Fean

ptrubey
      Administrator
      Staff member
      Later today at 11:34 AM

Hey folks, here’s a petition about lowering speed limits. Please take a look at it: http://chng.it/XGjkPmHXZm

V
      Vocal Resident
      Later today at 4:10 PM

People fly through the ranch because there aren’t stop signs every intersection. Smooth long curves and nothing to slow you down… The speeds really are too fast. Before the pandemic traffic would backup from the end of South Rancho Santa Fe Rd all the way to the golf course. I like the idea of lowering the speed limits down to 25 mph all through the ranch. On Via de Fortuna the speed limit is 45! This is a really unsafe speed. Whose stupid idea was this given several blind corners. Want a taste of fear? Walk the length of the road in the middle of the day. Or better yet cross the road at El Mirlo on horseback. Are you afraid of being hit? Or should you be afraid of hitting someone? Depends on your point of view.

Would people drive 25 mph? I don’t think so but they wouldn’t drive 65 anymore. And a speeding ticket would curtain future acts of reckless abandon for anyone getting one for 20+ mph over. Perhaps cameras to identify frequent offenders could be useful.

But a 25 mph limit would put a real crimp on the desireablity of cutting through the ranch during rush hour. It wouldn’t have any attraction anymore. A leisurely crawl instead of a fast short cut. Hey it worked with stop signs on RSF rd in Encinitas. It could work here too.

V
      Vocal Resident
      Later today at 9:59 AM

M a y b e … the answer is to take the radar awareness displays to the next step. Photograph the offenders , with their speed, and post them once a week. This would not be a ticket-able action but it is entirely legal. Also common are arrogant drivers totally ignoring the stop signs as if the signs , and YOU, were not there at all. Photographing the evening speed demons would be illuminating too. Perhaps repeat offenders could be dissuaded with civil suits based on the repeated photographic evidence? Many ‘offenders’ feel there is nothing anyone can do so they (beyond) selfishly act as if everyone else is trash and inconsequential. I would like to see them squirm for their antisocial behavior.

S
      Santa Fean
      Later today at 3:19 PM

Regarding speed limits in the Ranch: I very much agree that speed limits of 40 mph and, especially, of 45 mph are unsafe in the Ranch. Lowering speed limits to 25 mph, as one contributor suggests, might be effective at keeping vehicle speeds closer to the 30 – 35 mph range that would be reasonable for most Ranch roadways. But there are plenty of drivers who disregard all posted speed limits. Is there such a thing as speed bumps designed for speeds in the range of 30 -35 mph? Nothing like a good head thumping or a rattling of the teeth to get the message across to a speeding scofflaw.

Regarding traffic & parking in the village: I like the idea of a roundabout for the 5-way intersection and wouldn’t be averse to contributing towards same. Others may not agree. Vociferous Solana Beach residents recently entrenched themselves against roundabouts. But I like even better the idea of directing traffic and parking away from the village center & creating a pedestrian-only plaza of some sort. This would be lovely. And yes, the village would be a much more appealing draw for dining, socializing, shopping, gathering, and meandering if there were more restaurants, both elegant cafes and casual eateries, charmingly spilling out onto dining terraces, and fewer financial advisory and realty offices, shuttered and lifeless after business hours. But another issue which discourages some, including myself, from regularly heading into the village for evening meals or a stroll is the parking situation. Rather than vying for parking spaces on the streets, I would prefer the option of a nearby park-and-ride lot with a free shuttle into the village. And, since I’ve now drifted off to talking ‘pie in the sky’, wouldn’t it be lovely to have a network of free shuttles trolling well-chosen routes and/or park-and-ride lots scattered throughout the Ranch and bringing residents to this reimagined and charming village center for weekend dining and nightlife? No worries of drinking & driving or designated drivers. Just a thought, or perhaps a pipe dream.

ptrubey
      Administrator
      Staff member
      Later today at 4:50 PM

Santa Fean said:
      But another issue which discourages some, including myself, from regularly heading into the village for evening meals or a stroll is the parking situation. Rather than vying for parking spaces on the streets, I would prefer the option of a nearby park-and-ride lot with a free shuttle into the village. And, since I’ve now drifted off to talking ‘pie in the sky’, wouldn’t it be lovely to have a network of free shuttles trolling well-chosen routes and/or park-and-ride lots scattered throughout the Ranch and bringing residents to this reimagined and charming village center for weekend dining and nightlife? No worries of drinking & driving or designated drivers. Just a thought, or perhaps a pipe dream.
      Try using Uber. Works well. I’ve used it many times.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.