Landscape lighting / Board article (old discussion, partially restored)

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Editor
      Participant

Landscape lighting / Board article
      Thread starterArlene Eppler
      Start dateLater today at 7:13 AM
      A
      Arlene Eppler
      Later today at 7:13 AM

The Palomar Observatory on Palomar Mountain is the reason San Diego has a regulation to prevent “up lighting”to the point where the Observatory can’t function optimally if San Diego County is over run with too much light.
      ( lumens)

Reactions:Covenant Resident
      M
      MAT
      Later today at 7:59 PM

Arlene Eppler said:
      The Palomar Observatory on Palomar Mountain is the reason San Diego has a regulation to prevent “up lighting”to the point where the Observatory can’t function optimally if San Diego County is over run with too much light.
      ( lumens)
      Do you know where we can find that regulation? The Goodson project in Olivenhain added improving the bad lighting on RSF to the benefits of the 300 unit apts and 6 story parking structure to the back of the 7-11 at the 4 Corners. I’m an old Olivenhain Town Council past president and former Chair of the CAB when Encinitas first incorporated and dark skies was supposed to be one of the characteristics of our community. We’re all appalled at the density which can only lead to gridlock, but the mention of more lighting also got my attention. His next presentation is Friday.

Thank you..

Reactions:Arlene Eppler
      A
      Arlene Eppler
      Later today at 9:26 PM

MAT said:
      Do you know where we can find that regulation? The Goodson project in Olivenhain added improving the bad lighting on RSF to the benefits of the 300 unit apts and 6 story parking structure to the back of the 7-11 at the 4 Corners. I’m an old Olivenhain Town Council past president and former Chair of the CAB when Encinitas first incorporated and dark skies was supposed to be one of the characteristics of our community. We’re all appalled at the density which can only lead to gridlock, but the mention of more lighting also got my attention. His next presentation is Friday.

Thank you..
      Sorry, took a break. You can Google “ San Diego Dark skies Regulations” the info will come right up and will mention Palomar Mountain Observatory. The “actual” legal regulation might take a little digging, but it’s even worth a trip to the county offices at some point to obtain proof” that this should be addressed, ( per Goodson) or even to thwart overdevelopment!
      C
      Covenant Resident
      Later today at 11:17 AM

I loved that The Covenant had a dark skies policy that was enforced. It seems more and more residents are keeping outside bright (low lights are not the issue) lights on all night for security. I guess my next question would be, how safe is living in the ranch? Is security an issue ? If so, the board should address it? Let’s manage by the numbers not the outliers. This would make a great survey question for Assoc members. “Do you want dark skies? Yes or No “. If the board listens to only those who comment on the Assoc web site they are not getting a fair representation of the community. (remember roundabouts was voted down by the board, but when it was put to community vote, residents overwhelmingly wanted roundabouts ) Only the 30 % that did not want roundabouts went to board meetings to complain. Let’s not repeat history on these issues.

ptrubey
      Administrator
      Staff member
      Later today at 1:10 PM

Covenant Resident said:
      I loved that The Covenant had a dark skies policy that was enforced. It seems more and more residents are keeping outside bright (low lights are not the issue) lights on all night for security. I guess my next question would be, how safe is living in the ranch? Is security an issue ? If so, the board should address it? Let’s manage by the numbers not the outliers. This would make a great survey question for Assoc members. “Do you want dark skies? Yes or No “. If the board listens to only those who comment on the Assoc web site they are not getting a fair representation of the community. (remember roundabouts was voted down by the board, but when it was put to community vote, residents overwhelmingly wanted roundabouts ) Only the 30 % that did not want roundabouts went to board meetings to complain. Let’s not repeat history on these issues.
      Did you read/participate in this survey I did (scroll down the article): https://rsfpost.com/2021/01/30/time-to-give-the-rsfa-a-piece-of-your-mind/

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.