Editor
      Participant

Mail question
      Thread starterJS80
      Start dateLater today at 10:18 PM
      J
      JS80
      Later today at 10:18 PM

So I know people in the Covenant use PO Boxes for their regular USPS mail. But what if someone unknowingly sends you a letter using your physical street address? Does it get returned to sender or does it end up somehow at your PO Box?
      I
      IAmInTheCovenant
      Later today at 11:20 PM

For your mailing address, put “#1234” on Address 2, where 1234 is your PO Box. For shipments, it covers UPS, Fedex and USPS, and all mail gets routed to your PO Box.

ptrubey
      Administrator
      Staff member
      Later today at 7:36 AM

JS80 said:
      So I know people in the Covenant use PO Boxes for their regular USPS mail. But what if someone unknowingly sends you a letter using your physical street address? Does it get returned to sender or does it end up somehow at your PO Box?
      For letters, the post office usually returns the letter back to sender. For packages, they usually try to figure out the PO Box number.

My mailing address that I put in for package delivery is physical on line one, then Bx ### on line two. Works for both. In general, you cant tell what delivery method they will use.
      T
      tonygrey
      Later today at 11:30 PM

The federal statute 18 USC Section 1702 states that it is illegal for individuals to open correspondence that is addressed to other individuals. However, if you accidentally open someone else’s mail, you have not committed a crime.In many cases, the usps office will recognize large volumes of mail being sent back and automatically stop mail for that person from being delivered at your door.
      O
      ojavaid
      Later today at 12:25 PM

Newbie question. Just moving to RSF from the Bay Area. How will I know which PO Box is mine? Do I go to the village to figure that out?

ptrubey
      Administrator
      Staff member
      Later today at 3:38 PM

ojavaid said:
      Newbie question. Just moving to RSF from the Bay Area. How will I know which PO Box is mine? Do I go to the village to figure that out?
      Yes, go to the Post Office and they will assign you a box. If you are part of the RSF HOA Covenant, then sometimes, the Association can make your member number the same as your PO box which simplifies things. But that happens after you have your PO Box.
      O
      ojavaid
      Later today at 3:55 PM

Thank you, and yes, am part of the Covenant.
      O
      ojavaid
      Later today at 11:27 PM

ptrubey said:
      Yes, go to the Post Office and they will assign you a box. If you are part of the RSF HOA Covenant, then sometimes, the Association can make your member number the same as your PO box which simplifies things. But that happens after you have your PO Box.
      Another newbie question. Where do I get my member number? Do I need to go to the association offices and sort that out in person?

ptrubey
      Administrator
      Staff member
      Later today at 7:47 AM

ojavaid said:
      Another newbie question. Where do I get my member number? Do I need to go to the association offices and sort that out in person?
      I believe so, or you can call them or send them an email. https://www.rsfassociation.org/Club/Scripts/Home/home.asp
      V
      Vocal Resident
      Later today at 3:23 PM

After you buy the house you go to the Post Office with proof of residence because they will not rent boxes out to people who do not live here. The association will want your address and when they get your PO Box number they typically use that as your Member number. As for the mailing address the format the post office adopted, after years of craziness, is to put your street address followed by # and the number, i.e. 123 main st, #1234 and then Rancho etc.

The reason for not putting PO or Box in the address is many vendors do not ship to PO Boxes and when they see those characters in the address the order stops instantly. They want that street address. While that works for Fedex and UPS, the RSF Post Office does not deliver. So the box number follows the street number with just the “#xxx” and when they see that they put the mail in that box. Do not put P or O or PO or box or any combination on the address. The format is actually posted on the walls of the Post Office so you do not have to take my word for it.

The post office has many quirky rules too. One such rule restricts what names can receive mail in your PO Box. I know! Go figure that your mother in law cannot get mail at your house !?! …even if she lives there. So if something isn’t showing up ask at the counter, and bring patience and understanding with you for identification.

Now should you opt to get a PO Box from a third party such as a mailing center then you are in for a big surprise later. When you close the “third party” PO box the US Postal Service will NOT forward your mail to your new address. It may have been luck before but mostly it seemed like it worked from your old house address. They will only do this if you had an official US Post Office PO box. Yes, “official”. This also applies if mom went to an assisted living place and then left for Florida.

So in RSF the post office does not deliver mail and you get a PO box. But you do not get it for free despite their not paying someone to bring it to your house in a USPS vehicle every day. You must pay them annual rent. So that is how it works… now.

Enjoy visiting the Post Office. Those maybe the only times we may see our neighbors, unless their dog comes to visit you.

Reactions:ptrubey

ptrubey
      Administrator
      Staff member
      Later today at 4:33 PM

I use this service to get my mail delivered to my house (and they take away postal and fedex and ups shipments as well): http://www.rsfmaildelivery.com/

That link and many other useful ones contained in: https://rsfpost.com/2021/02/10/new-existing-homeowner-resources/

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.